The Protestant St. Nicholas Church is one of the most significant examples of architecture of German classicism. Beginning in 1828 it was built in accordance with plans of Karl Friedrich Schinkel in cooperation with his disciples Ludwig Persius and August Stueler. Its floor plan looks like a Greek Cross, where one cross arm is extended by a half-round apse. The portal is underpinned by four pillars and is reminiscent of an antique temple.
With its dome, visible from afar, the St. Nicholas Church is one of Potsdam’s landmarks. The active parish plays an active role in the public life of the city, offering, among other things, lively church services and high-quality church music .