The Chinese House in the Roe Deer Garden of Sanssouci Park is an important example of Chinoiserie that was in vogue in Europe in the 18th century. During 1754 – 1757, Johann Gottfried Buering built it on behalf of Frederick II in a design where the outer walls resemble the shape of a trefoil. It was used as a dining hall in summer.
The pavilion is decorated on the outside with life-sized gilded sculptures – Chinese musicians and tea drinkers. Inside is a large ceiling painting which shows a jolly Chinese party. In addition, Meissen porcelain and East Asian china can be admired.