The Brandenburg Gate is located on the west end of Brandenburg Street which ends eastbound at the St. Peter and Paul Church. The gate, which resembles a Roman triumphal arch, had two architects and thus also two styles. Karl of Gontard designed the part of the gate facing the city on behalf of Frederick II. His disciple Georg Christian Unger designed the part of the gate facing the fields. In 1770, the gate was completed.
The square in front of the Brandenburg Gate, Luisenplatz, was created in 1744 by Frederick II, but only planted with trees by P. J. Lenné in 1845. In 1939 the square was cobbled and the trees, except for some pillar oaks, were eliminated in order to create a parking area. The redevelopment in 1999 – 2000 included the building of an underground parking garage, the planting of rows of linden trees and the construction of a fountain in the center of the square.